AJS H8 – year 1927
Manufacturer: A. J. Stevens, Ltd., Wolverhampton, Anglia
W 1897 Albert brothers, Jack, John, George and Harry Stevens manufactured gasoline engines and supplied them to various companies. The first complete AJS motorcycle appeared in 1909 year in Wolverhampton, where company A. J. Stevens & Co. (founded this year by Albert and John Stevens) had its seat. The motorcycle had a single cylinder displacement engine 298 cm3, with a low valve timing. The very first AJS vehicles already had racing bike characteristics to prove it, that designers want to promote their model also in sports competitions. The greatest achievement in this field – winning the Tourist Trophy races - took place in 1914 year, when E. Williams won on an AJS motorbike 349 cm3 in Junior class.
However, the company had the most successful failure yet to come. After the First World War, AJS motorcycles three years in a row (1920, 1921, 1922) won the Tourist Trophy in their class. This was due to a stronger model with a single-cylinder engine with an overhead valve (OHV), named Big Port, due to the powerful exhaust pipe.
To complete the range of products, the 1926 the year also the half-liter model. Five hundred in construction, marked with the symbol H. 8, referring to the famous type of Big Port, all the company's racing and production experience was used. The single-cylinder engine had a cylinder head and cylinder attached to the crankcase with only two long bolts. The tappet rods and valve levers were made of duralumin. OHV overhead valve timing. From the displacement 498,5 cm3 engine developed power 14 kW (18 KM). The peculiarity was the Binks carburetor, placed on a very short link, almost directly at the intake port in the cylinder head. Spark igniter located in front of the engine and protected by the bend of the exhaust pipe, was from BTH. A three-speed gearbox with manual shifting transmitted power - via a chain - to the rear wheel. The simple tubular frame had a front suspension with a swinging fork sprung with two helical springs and lever friction dampers. Drum brakes were installed on both wheels. Motorcycle, still equipped with an acetylene headlight, it had its own weight 140 kg. It was reaching maximum speed 130 km/h.
As a result of the economic crisis, the plants were located in 1931 years in such big financial troubles, that the Colliers brothers bought them, Matchless company owners from London.