ARIEL RED HUNTER – year 1937
Manufacturer: Ariel Motors Ltd., Birmingham, Anglia
The biggest sensation at the Olympia Show in 1930 of the year was Edward Turner's Ariel Square Four motorcycle. The vehicle had a four-cylinder, four-stroke engine, the cylinders of which were arranged in two rows (on a square plan), and two non-split crankshafts connected to each other by gears. The vertical valves were controlled by camshafts located in the cylinder head and driven by a chain. The sparker, located behind the engine block, it was also driven by a chain. The carburetor is located between the two exhaust pipes. The rhythmic running of the engine was like the whir of a car engine. The four-speed Burman gearbox was manually controlled. The rear wheel was driven by a chain. Perfect, seemingly, the construction, however, not all details were well-resolved. The biggest drawback was the insufficient cooling of the rear pair of cylinders, what was causing, with higher engine load, scuffing the pistons. The Ariel Square Four motorcycle has been continuously improved. Gradually, the capacity of its engine was increased to 500 cm3, 600 cm3, and from 1935 until the 1960s, it was even produced with an engine 1000 cm3 with an overhead valve (OHV).
The single-cylinder Ariele, however, were the most widespread, also from the design studio of Edward Turner. Motor capacity motorcycles 248 cm3, 348 cm3 i 498 cm3 were made in two versions - tourist with the de Luxe designation and sports, under the name Red Hunter (red hunter).
The illustration shows the Red Hunter z model 1937 years with a single cylinder overhead valve engine (OHV) of a capacity 348 cm3 and power 14,3 kW (19,5 KM) at 5600 rpm. The Burman three-speed gearbox was foot-operated. The multi-plate dry clutch was housed in a separate housing. The sporty character of the model was emphasized by two exhaust pipes running high on both sides of the motorcycle. The front wheel was sprung (with one central spring), the rear wheel had no suspension. Thanks to the lightweight tubular frame, the motorcycle weighed only 145 kg and developed maximum speed 120 km/h. The factory served, that the fuel consumption is 4,5 liter / 100 km.