D-RAD R 10 – year 1930
Manufacturer: Deutsche Industrie-Werke AG, Berlin-Spandau, Germany
Berlińska fabryka maszyn Deutsche Werke AG, manufacturer of weapons and ammunition during the First World War, launched in 1921 year of production of motorcycles. The company's first motorcycle, equipped with a motor with a capacity 393 cm3, with a low valve timing, with its design solutions it resembled the English Douglas vehicle.
He was named D-Rad (for the first time) the second model from this label, improved by eng. Christiansena. And this vehicle did not bring the company the expected success. W 1926 label of the year, already under a new name: Deutsche Industrie-Werke AG, produced a motorcycle with a completely different design concept, with a single cylinder engine, front fork sprung with leaf spring and strong, double tubular frame. This motorcycle, marked with the symbol R. 4, he had the power 8,8 kW (12 KM) and reached maximum speed 90 km/h. Because the vehicle's stability was not the best, it was most often used with a sidecar.
W 1930 The new R model left the Deutsche Industrie-Werke plant 10 with a modern one, jednocylindrowym silnikiem, inclined forward at an angle of 30 °. The diameter of the cylinder was 82 mm and the piston stroke 94 mm. From the displacement 496 cm3 engine developed power 10,3 kW (14 KM). Constructor Eng. Martin Stolle used an overhead valve in this power unit, light alloy piston, dry sump pressure lubrication and - as new – connecting rod on needle bearings. The engine with a separate three-speed manual gearbox was housed in a single open tubular frame. Front suspension, with trapezoidal fork, was sprung by a central coil spring and fitted with lever friction shock absorbers. The motorcycle had a lot of weight 145 kg.
The R10 model was not only the most powerful, but also the most beautiful of the entire R series, it was sold for 1190 marek.
Production of D-Rad motorcycles in 1930-1932 exceeded the market demand and therefore the management of the company decided to limit it, and use the spare capacity to produce small, cheap motorcycle. This "little one."” turned out to be a vehicle with a single cylinder, two-stroke engine purchased from Otto Bark in Dresden. This decision did not "repair” company finances (owned by the Bank of the German Reich) and eventually it had to merge with NSU. The D-Rad brand disappeared in 1933 year.