DKW E 206 – year 1926
Manufacturer: Zschopauer Motorenwerke J. S. Rasmussen, Zschopau, Saxony, Germany
W 1924 of the year, the DKW label, renamed to Zschopauer Motorenwerke “fell asleep” German market with loads of two-stroke motorcycles, whose number in 1925 year reached 50 000 copies. It was not only due to mass production, which was introduced for the first time in this country, but also employment of technically and organizationally gifted people in the factory, full of good ideas.
Role models 206 appeared on the market in 1926 year and became an instant hit of the season. Single cylinder engine with a cylinder diameter equal to the stroke of the piston (64 X 64 mm) gaining power 3 kW (4 KM) at 3500 rpm. It was equipped with a flywheel magneto and a blower. A Framo carburetor was used to prepare the fuel-air mixture – E. The driving force from the engine was transmitted by a wet clutch, multi-disc, for two-speed gearbox, then a V-belt on the rear wheel. The front wheel was suspended in a swinging fork. The motorcycle had a curb weight 75 kg and developed speed 65 km/h. Soon the engine's displacement was increased to 247 cm3 and a new motorcycle, marked with E 250, which received this power unit already had a rear-wheel drive by means of a chain.
New German road rules, effective from 1929 year, slowed down motorcycles with a displacement of up to 200 cm3 from the obligation to have a driving license and pay tax. They were the direct cause of the production of the E model 206 with engine 198 cm3.
Thanks to the success of the E 206 DKW has become the largest motorcycle factory in the world. Do 1926 year produced 80 000 motorcycles; it was a number sufficient to meet the ever-increasing market demand. Po 1929 year (when it was released yet 60 000 pieces) production dropped sharply by the year 1930 reach the number 36 000 copies. Even though the prices of motorcycles continued to decline, the economic crisis has shifted customer interest to other products.