DKW motorcycle manufacturer
Danish engineer Jorgen Skafte Rasmussen, then residing in Germany, founded by 1905 year, together with his partner, machine factory, metal products and fittings, which after moving from Chemnitz to Zschopau in 1907 year began to develop rapidly.
At the end of the First World War, Rasmussen, rightly predicting gasoline difficulties, began to experiment with steam propulsion. Admittedly, he did not achieve satisfactory results, but the company owed its mark to these experiments – a volcano with a red flame and white vapor and the inscription DKW, which was the abbreviation of the name Dampf-Kraft-Wagen (steam vehicle).
The acronym DKW turned out to be universal - it was also appropriate over time, when the company produced small internal combustion engines with a capacity of 25 cm3, powering various mechanical toys. It was then translated as Das Knaben Wunsch (boys dream).
The production of motorcycles began relatively quickly in Zschopau, which thanks to well-thought-out advertising and a well-organized commercial network with well-stocked warehouses have gained extraordinary popularity. In a network of authorized service stations, the so-called. Recognized DKW help center, could be purchased, except DKW motorcycles and spare parts, also a complete outfit for motorcyclists, goggles, cleaning agents, tin garages, DKW cars for children and even cigarettes with that name. From 1929 In the year, the DKW plant also sold its products in installments, in height 10 brands per week - so everyone could become the owner of a new deck”. Demand rose sharply, therefore v 1928 year, DKW became the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world, next to the American Indian label. It was in her production program 20 modeli: from simple motorized bicycles to luxury motorbikes with electric starters. Low-production and reliable two-stroke engines and all spare parts produced in one group were the main reasons for commercial success.
W 1932 year, DKW together with the Audi brands, Horch and Wanderer were incorporated into the newly established Auto Union AG concern. Despite their sales successes, motorcycles were constantly modernized and improved. W 1929 years in two-stroke engines instead of the pistons initially used with a deflector (transverse flushing), Schnurle's patented back flushing system and flat-bottomed pistons are used.
In year 1958 the concern was reorganized and DKW together with the Victoria and Express brands became part of the Zweirad Union company. Production of DKW motorcycles, now limited to displacement only 49 cm3, was transferred to the Victoria plant in Nuremberg. W 1976 year, the DKW brand finally disappeared from the motorcycle market.