IMPERIA RHEINGOLD – year 1930
Manufacturer: Imperia Fahrzeugwerke GmbH, Bad Godesberg on the Rhine, Germany
In the 1920s, many motorcycle companies were founded in Germany, some of these – Zundapp, D-Rad – they only changed the production profile, switching from military to civilian production, other - BMW, Horex, Megola – arose as completely new labels. The latter also includes the company Imperia Rheingold, founded in 1923 year in Cologne on the Rhine.
Founder of the label, dr Becker, being a shareholder also in another motorcycle factory - KMB - when building its first models it was modeled on the English construction school. They started with mounting engines of well-known brands in typical English chassis: Blackburne, JAP, Bradshaw the MAG. In this way, mainly sports motorcycles and, racing, which, however, did not bring the company the expected financial results. As a result, in 1926 year, the factory was taken over by the Schródter family, with the Rheinland machine factory in Bad Godesberg. Experienced constructor, dr inż. Schródter was built by the village of 1929 r. its first model with a modern chassis. Imperia Sport, what the motorcycle was called, had the latest MAG engine - a single cylinder with two exhaust pipes, of a capacity 496 cm3 and high power 16 kW (22 KM), achieved at 5000 rpm.
W 1930 of the year, Schródter presented its next outstanding vehicle: Imperia Rheingold, which he equipped with a two-cylinder, forked, overhead valve (OHV) JAP engine, of a capacity 678 cm3 and power 22 kW (30 KM). The drive unit with the three-speed gearbox was mounted in a double tubular frame. There was a saddle on the top tube” tank. The front suspension with a trapezoidal fork was sprung by a central coil spring and equipped with lever friction shock absorbers. Large balloon tires, powerful headlight and low steering wheel as well as the characteristic shape of the exhaust pipes (to the right), give the bike a sporty look. Model Rheingold, thanks to a powerful engine it was used for driving with a sidecar. W 1935 year was modernized. He received a more powerful MAG engine, of a capacity 850 cm3, with a low valve timing.
In the same year, the plant was transformed into Imperia Werk AG. Po 1933 hard times have come for the company, because the import of foreign engines has been greatly reduced. In order to maintain serial production, it was launched, at the Bark company in Dresden, assembly of own single-cylinder engines 348 cm3 i 496 cm3, but they failed to halt the collapse of the plant two years later.