Puch manufacturer of motorcycles
Johann Puch already had his first bicycle manufacturing experience at Styria Fahrradwerke, when in 1899 year he founded his own company: First Steiermarkische Fahrradfabrik AG, in which from 1903 He produced his own motorcycles in series.
The first Puch motorcycles had a relatively long wheelbase and a low engine. The rear wheel was driven by a belt. The first model was equipped with a single-cylinder engine, air cooled, with power 2 kW (2,75 KM). In year 1902 Johann Puch, without waiting for serial production to start, on the prototype, he took part in the race to the Alpine pass Semmering, where he took second place. After the success of the competitive company Laurin & Klement, which in 1905 of the year, it won the largest motorcycle race, the Coupe Internationale, Puch designers made efforts and built a two-cylinder vehicle with power 8,8 kW (12 KM) and its own weight 50 kg. Factory drivers on this model – Nikodem and Obruba – took first and second place in a fierce duel with the European elite in the Coupe Internationale in 1906 year.
Until the outbreak of World War I, the plant produced single-cylinder and two-cylinder motorcycles, forked two-stroke (the exception was the z motorbike 1916 year, which uses an engine with the power of 4,4 kW flat boxer set longitudinally; only produced 10 pieces of this model).
After the First World War, the demand for Puch motorcycles was so high, that the company in 1923 In the same year, it stopped producing cars and switched to single-track vehicles only. Motorcycles with a two-stroke engine were produced, two-cylinder, with concurrent pistons and a common forked connecting rod, from the design studio of eng. Giovanniego Marcellina. The displacement of the engines increased gradually from 125 cm3 per year 1923 do 175 cm3 per year 1927 and 248 cm3 w 1929 year. The last one, a very successful model, it was constantly improved and produced in various variants until the 1950s. On its basis, a two-cylinder 500 was developed.
Another powerful motorcycle from the year should be mentioned here 1936, with transversely mounted four-cylinder, flat boxer engine, with displacement 792 cm3, who was gaining power 14,7 kW (20 KM). "A specialty” all pre-war motorcycles (except for the model 200 cm3 with 1937 year and model 125 cm3 from the year 1939) there was a clutch mechanism located in the rear wheel.
After the Second World War, the Puch company adapted its machines to take part in six-day rallies. The production profile was still varied, from small mopeds to motocross vehicles, all the way to the touring motorbikes of the class 250 cm3, of course with two-stroke engines.