HARLEY-DAVIDSON 1000 – year 1916
Manufacturer: Harley-Davidson Motor Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
The first Harley-Davidson motorcycles with single-cylinder engines were in 1909 replaced by models with two-cylinder engines, more suitable for US buyers looking for heavy performance motorcycles. One of the most famous and widespread motorcycles has become the Harley-Davidson with a powerful engine 5,1 do 6,6 kW (7 do 9 KM).
The V-shaped engine of the vehicle had a displacement 989 cm3. The suction valves of this power unit were located in the head, exhaust valves were located in the cylinder (upper-lower layout). This system was typical of Harley-Davidson motorcycles for several years. Automatic lubrication of the engine was provided by a piston pump. Power from the engine was transmitted via a chain to a three-speed gearbox, controlled by a manual lever, located on the left side of the motorcycle. A dry multi-plate clutch was actuated with the left foot. Carburetor throttle (Schebler type) it was controlled by the rotary handle of the steering wheel, which also has a control lever for changing the ignition advance angle in a Bosch magneto. These modern controls were not adopted by European motorcycles until a little later.
Some of the luxury models were supplied by the factory with a Delco Remy generator, which is a source of electricity for motorcycle lighting (instead of the previously used acetylene reflector).’ The motorcycle had a tubular frame. In the seat tube of the frame (that is this, on which the saddle was located) there was a hidden spring, the deflection of which could be adjusted depending on the weight of the rider. The front wheel did not have a brake. The rear wheel drum brake operated in two ways: as internal, segmental, when the pedals move in reverse, or external, band, operated by a manual lever and Bowden cable. The weight of the motorcycle was equal 160 kg.
The popularity of the Harleys was not limited to America. After the United States joined the First World War in 1917 year, Harley-Davidson motorcycles also found their way into Europe, where they were popular long after the end of the war.