HILDEBRAND & WOLFMULLER – year 1894
Manufacturer: J. Hildebrand & A. Wolfmuller, Munich, Germany
The names "motorcycle” was used for the first time by the Munich builder Alois Wolfmuller from Landsberg, when in 1893 year, he filed his patent for a two-wheeled vehicle. Shortly thereafter, he began with his accomplices, the Hildebrand brothers, serial production of a two-wheeled vehicle (over a period of several years has been produced 1500 pieces of this vehicle).
Hildebrand motorcycle & Wolfmuller hardly looked like the first bikes (which have served as a benchmark for motorcycles by some companies), it had a double tubular frame specially adapted to the mounting of the engine. Horizontal, two-cylinder, four-stroke engine with displacement 1488 cm3 had no crankcase and flywheels, and the drive to the cranked rear wheel axle was transmitted directly, using long connecting rods. Flywheel task, preventing the piston from stopping in the dead position were met by rubber belts, located on both sides of the engine. The mixture was ignited by the filament. The rear fender also acted as a water cooler, which cooled the engine. The engine had little power - 1,8 kW (2,5 KM), at 240 rpm. The speed of the motorcycle did not exceed 40 km/h (in the racing version – 75 km/h). The wheels were fitted with tires. Brake (bicycle type) it only acted on the front wheel. The price of a motorcycle in Germany was 1200 marek. This model was also known in France as La Petrolette, because Duncan Superbie & Co. produced it under license (almost 1000 pieces within two years).
The last Hildebrand motorcycle & Wolfmuller appeared in 1897 year. The production was discontinued due to its high costs and frequent defects of motorcycles.