Laurin & Klement is a motorcycle manufacturer
An avid athlete-cyclist, Wacław Klement (bookseller by profession), w 1895 of the year he founded together with Wacław Laurin (a mechanic from Turnów) workshop producing Slavia bicycles. Laurin's and Klement's differences in character determined the division of labor between them. Dynamic Clement, gifted with a technical instinct and commercial talent, he promoted new ideas in the plant and acted as a driving force. The calmer Laurin was an excellent technician-constructor and therefore took responsibility for solving technical problems.
W 1898 Year, the workshop located on the outskirts of Mlada Boleslav began to expand. The first building stopped, where today the headquarters of the Czechoslovakian AZNP automobile plant is located, producing Śkoda passenger cars. The second important event in the company's history was Klement's trip to Paris. Paris was then literally flooded with Peugeot cars, Panharda i Levassora, Dion-Bouton tricycles and Griffon motorcycles, Peugeot, Fournier-Bouchet and others. The observant Klement duly assessed the merits of the Werner brothers' vehicle and purchased their motorcycle for his plant. Six motorcycles were built in Bolesław according to this pattern, experimenting with different engine placement. Eventually it was established, that instead of adapting the motor to a bicycle type frame, it is better to build a frame that matches the motor and its mechanisms. It was, undoubtedly, a new direction in motorcycle design.
A period of peak achievements in the history of Laurin & Klement was a year old 1905. At that time, one of the first motorcycles in the world with a four-cylinder in-line engine was produced (typ CCCC), with power 3,7 kW (5 KM). In the same year, Wacław Vondrich won the CCS Laurin-Kliment (2-cylinder engine, with power 4 KM; speed to 85 km/h) in the Coupe Internationale des Motocyclettes races in France, considered the official world championships.
The greatest production – 3000 motorcycles – have reached establishments in 1907 year. The company's interests have since shifted to car production. W 1912 In the year, the production of motorcycles in this company was discontinued.