RUDGE 500 ULSTER – year 1933
Manufacturer: Rudge-Whitworth Ltd., Grow Lane, Coventry, Anglia
In years 1928-1933 Rudge was one of the most popular English motorcycle brands. It owed this to the innovative design of its four-valve engine (with 1924 year), which, in combination with the four-speed gearbox, allowed these vehicles to win many times, also in racing. The company was not content with successes. Its designers constantly refined and improved the produced motorcycles. W 1930 year, a significant change was made to the engine. To eliminate the cracks of the four-valve heads with parallel valves in the bridge between the exhaust valves (due to thermal overload), the radial positioning of the valves was decided (due to the hemispherical combustion chamber). This change also necessitated the development of a new valve control system. The amendment turned out to be successful, as a result, players Handley and Tyrrel-Smith achieved victory in 1930 years of victory in the senior and junior class Tourist Trophy.
The illustration shows the Ulster in a sporty design, with overhead exhaust pipes. This vehicle was equipped with a single cylinder, four-stroke engine with a capacity 499,3 cm3 and power 17,7 kW (24 KM), which he achieved at 5000 rpm. Outdoor, the four-valve timing mechanism worked in the OHV system. Bosch ignition was used to ignite the mixture. The four-speed gearbox was separate from the engine and the entire power unit was mounted in a single tubular frame. Front wheel, larger than the rear, was mounted on a Webb fork, sprung with an encapsulated coil spring. The peculiarity of the Rudge models were the folding supports, activated by a hand lever on the left side. The motorcycle had a curb weight 168 kg and developed maximum speed 140 km/h. Fuel consumption ranged from 3 to 4 liters per 100 km.
The quality and popularity of the Rudge brand is evidenced by the fact, that many famous motorcycle manufacturers (Imperia, HRD, Miller, Zundapp and others) assembled four-valve engines from the Coventry factory (with the designation Python) in their vehicles.
The Rudge-Whitworth company ended its activities in 1940 year.