SCOTT FLYING SQUIRREL – year 1930
Manufacturer: Scott Motor Cycle Co., Ltd., Shipley, Anglia
Avant-garde technical solutions found in Scott motorcycles, powered by two-stroke engines, were used in the company's vehicles even after the death of its founder Alfred Scott (w 1923 year). It was possible thanks to the outstanding designer W. Baby cot, who continued work on maintaining the current technical level of products and took care of the further development of the plant.
The illustration shows the Scott Flying Squirrel model (flying squirrel), equipped with an air-cooled two-cylinder two-stroke engine with a capacity 596 cm3. Maximum power 17,7 kW (24 KM) The motorcycle's power unit achieved, at relatively high speed, - 4000 for a minute. The crankshaft had a flywheel positioned in the center, between connecting rods. Korbo-waters were mounted in cylindrical roller bearings. Chain (also located in the center of the engine) it drove a three-speed gearbox and a magneto. The Girder front fork was originally resolved, with central spring (the prototype of later produced and much better telescopic forks). Truss frame, folded from straight pipes, it had a low center of gravity, which guaranteed good stability and excellent driving properties of the vehicle. The motorcycle had a lot of weight 160 kg and developed maximum speed 136 km/h. The plant determined the fuel consumption as 4 liters per 100 km.
From other standout Scott motorcycles, a vehicle with an air-cooled single-cylinder engine deserves a mention, of a capacity 297 cm3 with 1929 year and model z 1934 year, with a water-cooled three-cylinder, inline two-stroke engine with a capacity 996 cm3 and power 36,8 kW (50 KM).
W 1950 In the year, the company shut down production at Shipley and moved the factory to Birmingham, where under the name Aerco Jigs and Tools continued production, but to a limited extent.