ĆZ 76 – year 1932
Manufacturer: Ćeska Zbrojovka AS., Strakonice, Czechoslovakia
Ignatius Uhl, the main constructor of the motorcycle department in Ćeska Zbrojovka significantly contributed to the launch of motorcycle production in this plant. First, experimental, the company's vehicle was actually a heavy-duty engine-capacity bicycle 60 cm3, attached to the front fork and driving the front wheel directly (no belt or chain involved). Construction works on this model began in Strakonice as early as in 1930 year, but the motorized bike did not perform well in the test rides.
W 1932 In the year, a light motorcycle with an engine capacity was built 76 cm3, which went into series production. The series was launched in the first year of production 450 pieces of this vehicle. Motorcycle power unit – two-stroke, single cylinder engine with power 1,5 kW (2 KM) at 3500 rpm was mounted in a single tubular frame, forked at the back. The ignition system was of the magneto type. The motorcycle was started using the pedals. The rear unsprung wheel drove the chain. Front suspension, with a swinging fork, was sprung by a coil spring. The vehicle had a curb weight 40 kg and developed maximum speed 40 km/h. The fuel consumption was 2 liters per 100 kilometers.
Practice has shown, however, that the engine power is insufficient, especially in mountainous terrain. Therefore, in 1933 In the year, a new engine with a capacity of 98 cm3 and power 1,8 kW (2,5 KM) at 3800 rpm, which the ĆZ motorcycle was equipped with. This capacity (not exceeding 100 cm3) it resulted from the willingness to adapt to the then regulations, favoring light class motorcycles to 100 cm3. Other elements of the vehicle were improved - CZ received a three-speed manual gearbox and drum brakes on both wheels. This improved vehicle at curb weight 48 kg was developing maximum speed 60 km/h.
Motorcycle marked with ĆZ 98 appears in the production program of the Straconite factory also after the Second World War. Already in the first post-war year, several thousand of them were produced, this time with a magneto of our own production located in the flywheel and a carburetor of the Czechoslovak company Jikov.