WANDERER – year 1908
Manufacturer: Wanderer works, form. Winkelhofer & Jaenicke, AG, Schonau near Chemnitz, Germany
The Wanderer company belongs to this small group of motorcycle manufacturers, who already at the beginning of the 20th century manufactured all parts and components for motorcycles - including engines – in own factories. It was a production based on the standardization of elements and precise processing. Already during World War I, Wanderers were assembled from parts directly from production, no additional fitting and machining. Factory in Schonau near Chemnitz (obecnie Karl-Marx-Stadt) produced high-quality motorcycles, but also relatively expensive. The first Wanderers of 1902 years were light vehicles with single-cylinder engines for power 1,1 kW (1,5 KM). A two-cylinder V-engine was used to drive the motorcycle in 1908 year.
Model of the year 1908 had, as mentioned, V-shaped two-cylinder engine. The first cylinder of the engine was tilted 45 ° forward. The displacement of the power unit was 408 cm3, a moc 2,2 kW (3 KM) at 2000 rpm. The simple tubular frame had a design typical of that time. The rear road wheel pulley had (in series execution) diameter 320 mm. For sports purposes (for greater speed) vehicles with a pulley with a diameter were produced 260 mm. The rear wheel of the motorcycle was sprung on two coil springs, hidden in the frame pipes. The arrangement of two springs in the suspension prevented "bouncing off"” and lateral oscillation of the rear wheel, which occurred in the case of suspension with one spring. The motorcycle was light, because only 67 kg and developed maximum speed 70 km/h. For an appropriate surcharge, special equipment could be obtained, for example: Dunlop two and a half inch tires, carburetor throttle control device, placed on the handlebar, not on the upper, over-tank frame beam, "Slow exhalation” e.t.c.
The two-cylinder Wanderer model was produced until the First World War and throughout the First World War. He reappeared after the war, this time with an engine increased to 3,4 kW (4,5 KM) power.