Warsaw M20 U

Warsaw 203Rapid progress in the field of car design made, that the Warsaw M-20 soon became an obsolete vehicle. At the same time, FSO has not yet reached its full production capacity, and rich tooling was not depreciated. The designers proposed to modernize the car with slight changes in technology and equipment. Built in 1956 In the year, the prototype was named Warszawa M-20 U (modernized). The engine of this vehicle at the compression ratio 7,0 gaining power 44 kW (60 KM) at 3900 rpm. The drive system uses a multiplier with a gear ratio 0,83, which was attached to the gearbox. These changes made it possible to increase the maximum speed to 130 km / h and a decrease in fuel consumption to 12,5 dm3 / 100 km. The exterior of the car was changed by using new front and rear fenders, the engine cover, grills and bumpers, while the load-bearing structure of the body remained unchanged. The production of the M-20 U model was not started, while from 15 May 1957 In the year, the modernized version marked as a model was added to the assembly line 1957 (later named the model 200). The changes were relatively minor. Engine power increased to 38,3 kW increasing the compression ratio to 6,3, some pieces of electrical equipment have been changed. From the outside, the new model was distinguished by a changed front grille, decorative side and sill moldings. The factory mark and upholstery also changed.
The rigid body structure of Warsaw allowed for the construction of a delivery variant of a pickup truck. Loading space with an area 1,85 m2 allowed the transport of goods weighing up to 500 kg. Chassis assemblies were used almost unchanged. Only the rear springs have been strengthened and tires with higher load capacity have been used. The production of this version is called Warsaw 200 P started in 1959 year.
The FSO Design Office has started work on the modernization of the engine. In October 1957 year, the first prototype was ready. The team of designers consisted of engineers: A. Grabowski, W. Cell, WITH. Glinka i M. Herbs. The main dimensions of the new S-21 engine remained unchanged, on the other hand, an overhead valve timing system was introduced and the power supply system was changed. A significant increase in performance was achieved, maximum power was 51,5 kW (70 KM) at 4000 rpm, a maximum torque 147 Nm at 2500 rpm.
In the course of preparation for the production of a new engine, FSO entered the assembly line 1960 year, the next car model marked as 201. The changes compared to the previous model mainly concerned the chassis and electrical equipment. The front suspension was replaced with telescopic arm shock absorbers located inside the springs. A two-system was introduced in the front wheel brakes, concurrent jaws (Duplex). Road wheels with a diameter of 15 were used″. In place of the mechanical control of the starter, electromagnetic activation was introduced. W 1961 of the year, the Chief Designer Department under the direction of Eng. R. Skarka commenced work on the modernization of the body of Warsaw, including the new, a more powerful engine allowed to create a new model with higher traction and utility properties. In October of that year, three body versions were ready. The styling of these vehicles was Eng. C. Nawrot, while the design was developed by Eng. S. Łukaszewicz. The prototypes of the final version of the new body were built over the years 1962/63.
The production of the S-21 engine started in the fourth quarter 1962 year. The model was created by integrating this power unit into the existing body 202. Due to the different characteristics of this engine, a new main gear with a gear ratio was used 4,55. Better acceleration was achieved and the maximum speed increased to 130 km/h.