WERNER – year 1897
Manufacturer: Michel & Eugene Werner, Paris, France
Among the many pioneers of the automotive industry there are also two journalists of Russian origin – brothers Michał and Eugeniusz Werner. The atmosphere of tsarist Russia evidently did not suit them, since they chose Paris as the area of their journalistic activity. Their interests were not limited only to journalistic issues. Thanks to extraordinary technical talent, their passion for inventions and commercial skills refined their modest journalistic finances. They repaired cameras, typewriters, binoculars, turntables, they were also interested in the latest invention of those times – camera for displaying pictures, the so-called. stereoskop. As avid cyclists, they came up with the idea of using an electric motor from a stereoscope to drive a bicycle. The experiment was successful and became the basis for the construction of w 1896 a year of an improved two-wheeled vehicle, powered by an internal combustion engine. A year later, the first "la motocyclette” (because that's what Russian ex-journalists called him) appeared on the French market.
The vehicle had a four-stroke engine, single cylinder, with displacement 217 cm3 and approx. 0,8 kW (ok. 1 KM), located above the front wheel, driven by a leather belt. Front engine placement, in front of the steering wheel, provided sufficient cooling, but only at higher speed, which, according to the information of the producers, came to 35 km/h.
Although the first motorcycle of the Werner brothers was hardly perfect (especially when it comes to its stability), However, it gained popularity not only in France, but also in England, where it was produced under license.