WANDERER 708 – year 1926
Manufacturer: Wanderer-Werke AG, Schonau near Chemnitz, Germany
After the First World War, there were two models in the basic program of the Wanderer label: motorcycle with a single-cylinder engine "2.5 PS”, with displacement 327 cm3 and power 4,4 kW (6 KM) and a model with a two-cylinder "4.5 PS”, which capacity 616 cm3 was reaching power 8,8 kW (12 KM). Both vehicles had a three-speed gearbox, one-way clutch, rear wheel drive by means of a chain (in some weaker versions with a belt), brakes (manual and foot operated) acting on an unsprung rear wheel and a tubular steel frame.
W 1925 In the year, Wanderer produced a single cylinder engine with four valves in the cylinder head (OHV overhead valve timing). Engine lying concept, with displacement 148 cm3 was not new - it was very similar to the solution used in the Italian Moto Guzzi motorcycles. A year later, based on a four-valve engine, a two-cylinder version with atypical displacement was produced – 708 cm3. The diameter of the cylinder of this power unit was 70 mm and the piston stroke 92 mm. The pistons were made of light alloys. Crankshaft (made of chrome-nickel steel) was mounted on cylindrical roller bearings. The drive from the engine to the clutch was transmitted by means of a gear transmission. The entire drive unit (constituting one unit with a three-speed gearbox) it was secured in a strong double tubular frame. Characteristic’ there was a ribbed exhaust pipe, similar to these, which were used in JAP engines, mounted on English Brough Superior motorcycles. The front suspension featured a trapezoidal fork with two central coil springs and lever friction shock absorbers. The rear wheel was not sprung. Electrical installation, equipped with a modern - electric - sound signal, was from Bosch. The motorcycle developed speed up to 120 km/h.
The last construction of the company was a vehicle designed by Alex von Novikoff. This motorcycle has a single cylinder engine (of a capacity 498 cm3) drove the rear wheel by means of a shaft with joints. The frame consisted of elements pressed from sheet metal. The vehicle went into production in 1928 years but, unfortunately, despite the modern design and racial appearance, it was not as carefully made as the previous models. Increasing number of complaints, caused by cracking front forks and scuffing of the bearings, undermined the good name of the company, known so far for the reliability of its products. After reselling this model to the Prague factory Zbrojovka Ing. J. Janećek, no interesting vehicle has been built at this factory.